Green Card Process

Get Started. It's Free
or sign up with your email address
Green Card Process by Mind Map: Green Card Process

1. Filing Fee: $535

2. I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)

2.1. Fill out and Sign form

2.2. For all Form I-130 petitioners: □ Did you answer each question on Form I-130? □ Did you sign and date the petition? □ Did you enclose the correct filing fee for each petition? □ Did you submit proof of your U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status? □ Did you submit other required supporting evidence? □ If you have an attorney or accredited representative, did you include a completed Form G-28?

2.2.1. For Form I-130 spouse petitioners: □ Did you include two photographs of your spouse beneficiary? □ Did you include a completed and signed Form I-130A? □ Did you include two photographs of you (spouse petitioner)?

3. If you submit a petition for your spouse, you must also submit Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary.

4. Checklist of Required Initial Evidence

4.1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residence, or U.S. national status:

4.1.1. A copy of your birth certificate, issued by a civil registrar, vital statistics office, or other civil authority showing you were born in the United States;

4.1.2. A copy of your naturalization or citizenship certificate issued by USCIS or the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS);

4.1.3. A copy of Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), issued by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate;

4.1.4. A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport; An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport; or A copy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or a Form I-551).

4.2. Evidence of family relationship with one of the following (see form instructions for more detailed guidance):

4.2.1. Spouse: A copy of your marriage certificate

4.2.2. Documentation showing joint ownership of property;

4.2.3. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together;

4.2.4. Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources;

4.2.5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired their knowledge of your marriage; and Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

4.2.6. Two passport-style photographs (if applicable).

4.3. DO NOT INCLUDE: Anything that contains electronic chips and batteries (such as musical greeting cards) or any non-paper materials such as CD-ROMS, DVDs, toys, action figures, or thumb drives. We will not accept these types of materials. However, we will accept photographs or copies of these items.